Thursday, April 19, 2012

Fish and Prawn Cakes




A blink of an eye and I have been in Australia for 12++ years. Pretty much an adolescent in terms of developmental growth. Yes, I have grown to adore the place that I met and fell in love, established a home and married. It's a little scary to know that one day, I will spend more time in this country than my hometown.

During this period of time, I continued to stay in contact with my closest and dearest friends. I recall that we had chats on ICQ (I presume it no longer exists!!), and hand write letters and cards to each other. I brought along an autograph book with all the profiles of my friends and read them whenever I felt homesick. It graduated to text messages and of course emails. And now, it's whatsapp and skype/facetime.

Technology keeps us close. I never felt they are too far away. One of my best buddies and I often chat on email on what kind of quick lunches she can prepare and the outcome of one of those emails was these fish and prawn cakes.

I grew bored of grilled fish and thought of blending snapper with some prawns. The result was a bouncy tasty fish cake! I was so pleased with it. I seasoned it with spring onions, chopped chili and salt and pepper. Egg and some almond meal was used to bind it together. Nothing fancy but it reminded me of home.

Fish and Prawn Cakes (makes 12)
400 grams of white snapper
300 grams of shelled tiger prawns
1/4 cup of almond meal
3 springs of spring onion chopped
2 red chili padi chopped
1 egg
salt and pepper

Blitz all together. Shape into patties. Heat oil on pan and fry both sides till brown.


Photobucket

6 comments:

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

sound wonderful and healthy!

Joanne said...

what a great idea! I love making salads more interesting with patties like these.

lena said...

great in salad and i also dont mind just snacking on them alone! i think aust is a very nice place to live in.. one of my friends recently told me that perth might be a little too quiet for her though..:)

Noob Cook said...

just one step - love this type of straight over recipes :)

rosi said...

This blog is wonderful, thank you propose. Glad to see new projects! I wish you much success.
Voyance

Carole said...

Just to let you know that this link to Food on Friday was featured in my Need Some Inspiration? Series today.
It would be great if you followed Carole's Chatter. I will follow you back
Have a great week.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...